Moving and installing built-in appliances is problematic for a number of reasons. By their very nature built-ins are designed for a residential installation and yet are often commercial-sized appliances. Built-in fridges and stoves are high value items that often have much of their delicate components exposed. Built-in fridges are heavier than standard fridges and taller as well. The risk of damaging either the product or the customer’s property is higher when moving a built-in appliance; it is heavier and more awkward to move and there is usually less clearance. All this makes the job for the installer much harder than moving a standard white good.
The powermate.info website now has new content, more pictures and more opportunities for views to get intouch with PowerMate Solution Specialists. This redesign is part of our ongoing efforts to provide quality information to PowerMate customers on the benefits to safety and profitability of using our products.
Tags: Product Information, Injury prevention, powered dolly, ergonomic strategy, hand truck, electric dolly, stair climbing hand truck, Announcements, HVAC moving solutions, HVAC-R, safety moving systems, powered hand trucks, motorized stair climbers, appliance dolly
The value of a good ergonomics strategy goes beyond health and safety. A good ergonomics strategy can add value to your company’s business and ultimately contribute to your goals of higher profits. An ergonomics strategy can affect profit drivers like cost minimization, productivity, quality, delivery reliability, responsiveness to customer demands and flexibility. The evidence for a good ergonomics strategy is abundant in countless studies in North America and Europe that clearly illustrate the connection between profitability and healthy working conditions. Larger organizations take ergonomics seriously and have been at this game long enough to know where to look for ‘bottom line’ benefits.
PowerMate is the only powered stair climbing hand truck approved for use on the London Underground.
In much of the European Union laws have been enacted that require companies to conduct risk assessments for material handling and to implement mechanical alternatives to lifting a weight that could jeopardize their employee’s heath – this includes injury due to lifting strain.
Do you rent equipment to contractors? If so, than take a moment to consider the advantages of renting a motorized hand truck. Most rental places charge a premium to rent a PowerMate because of its’ uniqueness and application specific uses. Many rental companies include a PowerMate rental when they rent other products like concrete polishers, generators, floor sanders, drain cleaners and other heavy loads because a PowerMate can lift loads on and off trucks and up and down stairs.
PowerMate motorized hand trucks are used extensively by HVAC contractors to move hot water heaters, AC units, furnaces, radiators, geothermal heat pumps and boilers for residential and commercial installations because, unlike a regular hand truck, the PowerMate protects the operator from lifting stain. A PowerMate does the grunt work and has the added benefit of saving contractors on labor costs. On average, a contractor can cut labor costs in half when using a PowerMate to move loads to the point of install. These are real, tangible benefits that contractors recognize and will respond to.
Moving bottom heavy loads like concrete grinders, wood or pellet stoves, electric motors or batteries takes special care. When using a PowerMate stair climber the operator uses the wheels as the pivot point when extending or retracting the toe plate. If all the weight is at one end, it makes it harder for the operator to pivot the load. PowerMate has come up with two neat solutions for this problem, one very simple, other more high-tech. Both work equally well.
Jason Karger from Culligan Quality Water of North Central Ohio loves his PowerMate® because it gives him back flexibility he lost when one of his workers became injured, “…due to his bad back, one of our service technicians was greatly limited from duties” wrote Jason recently, “…for Portable Exchange tank deliveries, discontinued equipment removals and removal of equipment we are replacing it was difficult for him to deal with customers’ steps as well as getting the equipment in and out of his pickup.”
The value of ergonomics goes beyond health and safety. A good ergonomics strategy can add value to a company’s business strategy and ultimately contribute to your business goals of higher profits. An ergonomics strategy can effect profit drivers like cost minimization, productivity, quality, delivery reliability, responsiveness to customer demands and flexibility.
Tags: Injury prevention, powered dolly, ergonomic strategy, profit analysis, profit drivers, safety moving system, HVAC moving solutions, safety moving systems, powered hand trucks, motorized stair climbers
- 1. Safety: Using a PowerMate is the safest way to move boilers, hot water tanks, geothermal units, vending machines, safes, ATM machines, VLT machines and countless other awkward and heavy loads up stairs and on and off trucks. Factory authorized training ensures that the operator understands the capabilities of the machine under various real world conditions.
- 2. Efficiency: A PowerMate can save time over other forms of moving, like using block and tackle for moving elevator motors for example. Understanding how best to secure the load on your PowerMate can reduce the amount of effort on the part of the operator by ensuring the load is in a neutral balanced position making it easier to operate the unit on stairs.
- 3. Proper use of the Wheel brakes: The wheel brakes on the M-Series PowerMate are engaged manually. Knowing when to use the brakes can make the difference in terms of safety but also in terms for efficiency. The Wheel brakes broaden the contact with the ground (or stair) and actually add leverage during a move. Training helps operators use the wheel brakes to their advantage. The Wheel brakes on the LE-1 model stair climber are hand operated and training will provide valuable information on when and why you should use them for the safe operation of the machine.
- 4. Eliminating damage to property: A PowerMate provides the ability to be in complete control of your load at all time, reducing the risk of damage to property or your client's cargo. Training provides operators with tips and techniques on negotiating tight landings, broken stairs or uneven ground.
- 5. Tips and Tricks: Learn what we have learned based on 30+ years of experience in safety moving systems. How do you easily spin a 750 lb. load on its vertical axis? Training will show you how.
- 6. Get the most from your machine: The PowerMate LE-1 is a motorized stair climber and a stacker machine. There are two drive screws, one for the wheels and another for the toe plate. This machine is very versatile in that it can ‘front load' or stack product on to a raised surface, like a hearth for example. Training will help operators get the most out of this unique and powerful machine.
- 7. Compliance: Ensure your operators feel confident with the equipment and they will be more likely to use it. This will save you money in time, labor and injuries. You might also make more money by freeing up labor to work on other jobs!
- 8. Profit: A PowerMate projects an image of professionalism and is a value added feature of your service because you are actively working to reduce property damage as well as reduce the time required to install. Well trained operators who know and understand this fact are your ticket to more referrals!
- 9. Insurance premiums: The use of a PowerMate has proven to reduce job site injuries, injury claims, property damage and damage to your client's product. Add to that PowerMate training and you have a winning combination to negotiate for lower insurance premiums.
- 10. Reduced maintenance costs: Our training programs provide tips on how to keep your machine running in tip-top shape for trouble free operation for years to come. This will save you yet more money over the long haul.